Conversations with my Child
Saturday, February 03, 2018
 
15 and fabulous
I was thinking I should show you this again soon.
The internet goes so fast... but this little corner of it stays frozen in time.

You turned 15 last month.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around that. It's been more than a decade and a half since I started these one-sided conversations with you. I suppose they're really monologues. Since it's me talking to current you unless future you wants to respond. So far, every future me comes back every few years to add something and gets all teary-eyed and maudlin.

Every new stage with you has been my favorite. But sometimes I still wish for those few months I didn't have to share you with the rest of the world... or the days we spent doing things that never got written down because we were too busy doing things together.

I feel you slowly growing apart from me now... preparing me, no doubt, for the day you go to college and I cry as hard as I did the first day you went to preschool. Only knowing that I won't pick you up at the end of the day? That will be the worst. For me, anyways. For you? It will be a new adventure.

For now? I'll cherish the next three and a half years and any moments you give me.  High school freshman year is half over. Already, you spend more time with friends than you're old, occasionally clueless, but earnest parents. Which is, after all, as it should be.

Youare still, and will always be my Sun, my daughter. None shines brighter. Love you always... xoxo Mama

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger